Breakfast links: More Metro information
DST closing explained: Metro is blaming its early daylight savings time shutdown on a mistake made in the control center. Richard Sarles said, "the person will never ever make that mistake again." (Examiner)
New screens come to Metro stations: Those LCD screens you may have seen acting as clocks in certain Metro stations will soon show service information like delays and elevator outages. (Examiner)
WMATA Board ethics: A review of WMATA Board ethics found that Jim Graham violated ethics rules and made several ethics reform recommendations. But some think more reforms are premature after debating such issues a little over a year ago. (Post)
Check Ward 1 parking signs: Some Ward 1 neighborhoods will see more restrictive parking rules starting tomorrow which will reserve one side of the street for residents only. (Post)
Better to drive?: Freakonomics economist Stephen Dubner makes the flawed claim that it's better for the environment to drive than it is to take public transit and that public transit can't work places like Cleveland. (Streetsblog)
Arlington leads the way on bikes: Arlington has been serious about bicycle infrastructure for a few years and is now a model for cities across Virginia looking to increase bicycle use. (Bacon's Rebellion)
Local leaders like bikes: Local leaders like mayors and county executives support bicycle infrastructure even though their representatives in Congress don't. (Roll Call)
And...: Take a sneak peak inside DC's Wal-Marts. (Post) ... Gaithersburg might get Capital Bikeshare in 2013. (Patch) ... The Beltway's HOT lanes open tomorrow. (Post) ... The Nats Park area might get an upscale movie theater. (JDLand)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- I don't care what some people say: DC has great transportation options.
- The biggest beneficiaries of housing subsidies? The wealthy.
- How five local businesspeople would tackle gentrification on 14th Street
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 90
- Compass rose decals? More direct priority seating signs? Here are two more MetroGreater finalists.
- When airports give your kids a place to play, traveling is far less stressful
- This DC park is pretty much the definition of desolate. How can the National Park Service change that?