Breakfast links: Old school
Hine gets OK: The DC Zoning Commission has approved the Hine School PUD, officially closing the community feedback phase. Developers will now focus on securing financing and aim to start construction next summer. (DCmud)
Not down with escalators: Planned escalators in the Main Hall could hamper future expansion at Union Station. Amtrak officials want to know if the holes for the escalators could be easily removed to accommodate passenger flow. (Post)
A lot to do in 5 years: Mayor Gray's 5-year economic development plan is certainly ambitious, but some goals might be difficult to achieve. The planned tech center at St. Elizabeths has a ways to go. (City Paper)
Academic village in NoMa: While some parts of Gray's 5-year economic plan might be difficult, one developer is moving forward with a NoMa academic village, which aims to attract and keep talent in the District. (WBJ)
Height limit estimate too high?: Ryan Avent and Matt Yglesias have been arguing DC's height limit costs over a billion dollars a year in a "shadow tax," but are they overstating their case by conflating too many factors into an inaccurate number? (Atlantic Cities)
Safer to be blue: Blue states tend to see fewer traffic fatalities than red states, with DC leading all states with the fewest fatalities per capita. Do travel patterns explain this difference or might there be something else? (Streetsblog)
And...: Thanksgiving weekend will have several transit closings and modified schedules. (Post) ... RideOn buses now feature bold ads promoting pedestrian safety. (WAMU) ... Sand Box John has another thorough update on Silver Line construction.Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."
- Metro's flooded stations, in pictures
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar