Christmas Eve links: Coal
Boathouse suddenly kicked out: The Park Service abruptly canceled the lease for Jack's Boathouse in Georgetown, which has rented boats since 1945. Jack's has to close by January 31, but NPS has publicly given no reasons. (Georgetowner)
MoCo competing for FBI: Montgomery County is making a play for a new FBI headquarters. The move surprised statewide officials who had been hoping Marylanders would unify to push for a Prince George's Metro site. That county has only 3.9% of leased federal office space but 25% of federal workers. (Post)
No CaBi at the Pentagon: Capital Bikeshare stations near the Pentagon would be a great way to connect the Rosslyn-Ballston and south Arlington clusters, but the Pentagon isn't open to it. Arlington is considering a station at the airport. (TheWashCycle)
More express: WMATA will expand express bus service with more hours for the S9 on 16th Street and Maryland's first MetroExtra route on New Hampshire Avenue. (Post)
No curbs for Alexandria street: Alexandria wants to build a "shared street" (or "woonerf"), where pedestrians and cyclists have equal priority to cars, in its waterfront development. Some residents who've never seen one think it's a bad idea. (WAMU)
Parking garages go mobile: Some commercial parking garages are using smartphone apps to help customers find garages with space for short-term parking needs and at off-peak times. Some new garages will also allow paying by phone. (Post)
Emissions kill: Thanks mainly to rising car ownership in China and India, air pollution is one of the fastest-growing causes of death in the world. (Motherboard)
A few cars have big impact: A study of Boston and San Francisco traffic showed that getting as few as 100 cars from specific neighborhoods off the road could dramatically reduce commute times. (WTOP)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Proponents of term limits in Montgomery hope they'd mean more Republicans and less development. Both are unlikely.
- We know where most of DC's population lives. Does Metro run through those places?
- Prince George's County leaders join the chorus to keep late-night rail service
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 93
- Term limits are a terrible idea for Montgomery County
- A record number of people petitioned for a dog park at the Takoma Rec Center, but it's still not happening
- If car commercials were honest, this is what they'd look like