New Year's Eve links: Encourage cycling
GW provides parking for bikes but not cars: A planned George Washington University 900-bed residence hall will have 132 parking spots for bikes but none for cars. (WBJ)
WABA seeks funds for woman riders: WABA is fundraising to encourage more women cyclists with a $4000 matching supporter. Today is the last day to donate and they are a little more than halfway to that matching goal. You can give here. (WABA, Certifried)
Brace yourself bicyclists, winter is coming: Winter weather can bring hazardous conditions but you can still bike in them as long as you stay safe by increasing your stopping distance and be aware of drivers who can't stop. (Patch)
Still not great for young black men: While the murder rate overall in DC was down, black men in their 20s had a 1 in 734 chance of being murdered this year. While that may be a record low, they are still not good odds. (R.U. Seriousing Me?)
Tops in 2012 transportation: The Post gives their top 10 transportation stories of 2012 which include Rush Plus and the L Street bike lane. Richard Layman responds and has his own list of top stories.
Not your typical day on Metro: Metro had an eventful Thursday evening and Friday morning with a woman going into labor, a train striking a deer, and a driver in a stolen car crashing into a Metrobus. All of this was in addition to the foiled bank robbery getaway. (Post)
How not to build light rail: The light rail line in San Jose has the fewest riders, relative to cost of construction and operation, of any in the country and the blame can be laid on the area's spread-out land use pattern. (San Jose Mercury-Times, Ben Ross)
Tea Party weakens: After suffering electoral defeats and seeing its political influence wane, the Tea Party will focus on narrower issues like opposing Agenda 21. (NYT)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- Cell service in tunnels, junking old rail cars, getting finances in order. Here's what's in Metro's Back2Good plan.
- If racial inequities didn't exist, DC would look like this...
- Metro now has an official plan for getting better in 2017. It's called Back2Good.
- WMATA recommended express bus service along 14th Street NW four years ago. Is it time to make it happen?
- The DC reps on the WMATA board might veto late-night closures
- What happens when people without cars move to places built for driving?