Breakfast links: Alternatives
The other approach to the gas tax: While Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell wants to eliminate the gas tax, Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley wants to raise it to help fund $700 million in transportation. (WBJ)
Yet another way to fund transit: Massachusetts' former transportation secretary proposes a tax on parking spaces to fund transportation projects like public transit and improvements to bike and pedestrian facilities. (Governing, jnb)
Traffic and pedestrian deaths hit new low: DC saw the fewest pedestrian and traffic deaths last year since such data was initially recorded over 80 years ago. (Examiner)
Rents go down?: Rents in the DC area for high-end new apartment buildings are now dropping in certain areas like NoMa and Upper Northwest as increasing supply catches up with demand. (UrbanTurf)
Up in the sky, it's a Purple Line station!: As to not interfere with MARC tracks below, the MTA wants to build one proposed Purple Line stop 80 feet in the air and encase it in a tube to shield riders waiting for the next train from wind. (Examiner)
The future of car sharing: While Zipcar's acquisition by Avis could let Zipcar get back to its innovating roots, do new, small scale peer-to peer services represent a threat to the traditional, larger car sharing companies? (Next City)
Where to grow: Regional planners have identified 139 "activity centers" mainly around Metro stations where job and housing growth should be concentrated. (WAMU)
Parking plugs Pgh project: Developers want to renovate a historic old Pittsburgh building, but it has no off-street parking, and the zoning code requires it. There's plenty of parking nearby, and lots of transit and bicycling. (Post-Gazette)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Fairfax's answer to neighbors' transit plans: Light rail, streetcars, and BRT
- The DC zoning update has already had triple the public input as the enormous 1958 zoning code. Enough is enough.
- Federal board wants "dignified," dull Southwest Waterfront
- MARC's chief engineer wants to allow bikes on some weekend trains
- Fruit stands abound within Paris Métro
- Downtown DC could have been more like L'Enfant Plaza
- Can you guess the Metro stations in this week's pictures?
Wed Apr 23
Thu Apr 24
Fri Apr 25
Sat Apr 26
10:00 am CSG tour: Historic Shaw
Tue Apr 29