Breakfast links: No breaks
Metro budget details: Richard Sarles presented the Metro budget; you can expect lots of track work but no extra 8-car trains next year. (Post, WAMU)
Cut property taxes on the rich?: Jack Evans wants to give a property tax break to the richest Washingtonians. But DC's property taxes are actually already relatively low in the region. (City Paper)
Park bustin' loose: In a city full of memorials to national and foreign figures, DC will get a memorial to a local: Chuck Brown. It will be an amphitheater with a bandshell and "timeline tower" in Langdon Park. (Post)
FredCo leader for bikes, smart growth: Frederick County Alderman Karen Young, also this year's Council of Governments head, called for more bike paths and housing near jobs. The discussion was part of a state transportation planning session. (Gazette)
Few houses available to buy: For the first time in almost a decade, the level of for-sale housing inventory in the DC area dropped below 7,000 listings. (UrbanTurf)
That's a lot of cars: Ever wonder what DC would look like without bus service? Well, it happened in 1974 when a strike temporarily halted bus service. (Retronaut)
Parking solves congestion?: A congestion management plan in Yosemite eliminates bicycle rentals, but adds more parking served by shuttle buses. (LA Times, David E.)
And...: Don't be alarmed if you see people on Metro this weekend without pants. (Patch) ... The London Tube turned 150. (Atlantic Cities) ... Boston gives the food truck treatment to city hall services. (Atlantic Cities) ... SW Ecosdistrict gets OK from NCPC. (WTOP)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."
- Metro's flooded stations, in pictures
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar