Mapping underwater mortgages shows shocking divide
The Washington Post created this astounding map of the places where the greatest percentage of mortgages are "underwater," or owe more than the home's current value.
The Post's article, which talks about how home prices have risen, says:
Many of the homeowners with mortgages higher than their home's value were clustered in the eastern parts of the District and in Prince George's County.This makes it clear that the economic recovery is not hitting all areas or all people equally. We need more jobs east of the river and in Prince George's County, especially at Metro stations, to help our economic success benefit all.
- Consumers say they like trains. Why don't economists care?
- Alexandria has identified locations for its next 16 bikeshare stations
- To bike without worrying about nearby cars, I'm happy on the MBT
- Transit to Wolf Trap will still run through West Falls Church
- There's history to behold on some of DC's manhole covers
- Walkability by Metro line, graphed
- Smarter growth will expand Prince George's tax base