Breakfast links: Better biking and those who fume at it
L Street lane could get a curb: DDOT might put in a curb to keep cars out of the L Street bike lane. M Street may have a curb too, and will be narrower. (Examiner)
Benches, CaBi at Commerce Department: Plans for a perimeter security upgrade to the Herbert Hoover (Commerce Department) building will add reflecting pools on 14th Street, benches, and 2 Capital Bikeshare stations. (WBJ)
AAA vs. safe driving: AAA's John Townsend is now complaining about parking tickets, and rather than condemning dangerous U-turns across Pennsylvania Avenue, Lon Anderson complaints about cyclists. (WJLA, Examiner)
DC #1 at not being like Texas: The Texas Transportation Institute released its annual rankings once again showing DC congestion worst in the nation. As usual, reporters blindly parrot it without examining the flaws in TTI's methods. (Post)
Cuccinelli's gas tax plan: Ken Cuccinelli has an alternate transportation plan, to replace the gas tax with a sales tax on gas that would rise with inflation. It would raise less than McDonnell's proposal but not hike sales taxes on non-driving activities. (Examiner)
Miller intros transportation plan: Mike Miller introduced his transportation bill to put a 3% sales tax on gas, let counties add their own gas taxes, authorize property tax districts to pay for projects like the Purple Line, and maybe lease the ICC. (Baltimore Sun)
FBI would hurt Loudoun?: Loudoun County could lose $6 million a year in opportunity costs if the FBI moves there. A move would take prime land off the tax rolls and forego potential revenue, economic development officials concluded. (WBJ)
And...: Virginia could set a moratorium on drones. (RTD) ... Tommy Wells launches his exploratory commitee to run for mayor. (DCist) ... Arlington gets a tourism tax back, but only for 3 years. (Sun Gazette) ... The League envisions a bike-friendly White House. ... Maryland will raise the ICC speed limit to 60 mph, because it's empty enough. (Post)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- 9 things people always say at zoning hearings, illustrated by cats
- The Northeast Corridor carries more rail passengers than anywhere else in the country. What could it look like in 2040?
- What if Montgomery County gave BRT a temporary test run?
- The National Zoo has clarified its safety concerns. Turns out you're the problem.
- Montgomery will go ahead with BRT, but at what cost?
- Zig zag road stripes can get drivers to pay more attention
- WMATA's new general manager is listening before he even takes the reins