Breakfast links: How to pay
Taxes needed for Purple Line, CCT: Without a tax increase from the Maryland legislature, design on the Purple Line and Corridor Cities Transitway will come to a halt. (Post)
Gas tax alive and well: Governor McDonnell's transportation bill might not be completely dead, but his proposal to eliminate the gas tax almost certainly is, say Senate Democrats who initially defeated the plan. (WTOP)
South Cap now has 2 racetracks: DDOT has tweaked the South Capitol bridge plans. The "racetrack" oval will remain, and the circle on the east side will become a second oval, but they will get wide sidepaths for walking and biking. (WABA)
What gets people riding: There's a positive correlation between the number of jobs and Metro ridership, but that's not the only thing that effects ridership. Tourists, holidays, special events, and the price of gas all play a role. (PlanItMetro)
More performance for parking: DDOT may expand performance parking to 20 new locations, including Georgetown and Adams Morgan, by early 2014. AAA's John Townsend is opposed, even though it makes parking easier to find. (WTOP)
Startups can start up: A new "startup accelerator," 1776, launched yesterday to foster tech startups in the District. Along with private supporters, DC gave it a grant which requires it to stay for 5 years and include at least 20% DC residents. (DCist)
What's in a name?: Congestion pricing might be a good idea, but is it the wrong term to gain support? "Decongestion pricing"? "Road fares"? (Human Transit)
Less-empty downtown upsets some Clevelanders: As some of Cleveland's many vacant downtown lots fill in, some people are complaining about parking because all those lots meant people didn't have to walk a few blocks. (Plain Dealer)
And...: Car2go breaks the 10,000 member mark in DC. (UrbanTurf) ... How effective are bike helmets? (WashCycle) ... Should DC bring HOV rules to local roads? (RPUS)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- What if Montgomery County gave BRT a temporary test run?
- Twenty-five gorgeous but non-famous US train stations
- Montgomery will go ahead with BRT, but at what cost?
- The Northeast Corridor carries more rail passengers than anywhere else in the country. What could it look like in 2040?
- Zig zag road stripes can get drivers to pay more attention
- WMATA's new general manager is listening before he even takes the reins
- The National Zoo has clarified its safety concerns. Turns out you're the problem.