Breakfast links: Taxes and cars
Get rid of the hybrid tax: Scott Surovell (D-Fairfax) and Adam Ebbin (D-Alexandria) created an online petition to ask Governor McDonnell to line-item veto the $100 hybrid fee in the transportation bill. Dave Albo (R-Prince William) wants to keep it. (Post)
Car taxes oddly rise: DC collected a lot of vehicle taxes in January. Did people buy a lot of cars, or was DMV just catching up on late paperwork? Nobody really knows. (WBJ)
Downside of sales tax on gas: Two economists point out drawbacks to a sales tax on gas instead of a per-gallon gas tax: the price of gas is much more volatile and often doesn't track inflation, making it a less predictable revenue source. (Post)
Graham slapped for ethics: The DC Council officially reprimanded Jim Graham (Ward 1), with only Marion Barry supporting Graham. The council also took away Graham's alcohol oversight and gave it to Vincent Orange. (DCist)
See DC from space: From the International Space Station, you can see DC pretty clearly and make out downtown, the Mall (as negative space), the Beltway, and even the DC-Maryland border. (DCist)
Sequestration means...: Sequestration would hit DC affordable housing programs, teachers and police, and more, but at least AAA can be happy. (WTOP)
The next taxi regulatory fight: SideCar, a service that lets drivers give other people rides, was shut down in Philadelphia because its drivers aren't officially licensed as taxi drivers. Debates over whether to allow this kind of ridesharing will likely be the next iteration of the Uber battles. (Philly Post)
Bike bits: Bills for bike safety all failed in Virginia this year. (VABike) ... A cyclist was "critically injured" on Maryland Avenue SW. (Post) ... Want to work for WABA?
And...: Now that Virginia funded transportation, will Maryland follow (but with a better plan)? (Examiner) ... Crystal City will get new apartments and become more residential. (ArlNow) ... There are fewer surface parking lots for Nats games this year. (JDLand)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- 9 things people always say at zoning hearings, illustrated by cats
- The Northeast Corridor carries more rail passengers than anywhere else in the country. What could it look like in 2040?
- The National Zoo has clarified its safety concerns. Turns out you're the problem.
- Montgomery will go ahead with BRT, but at what cost?
- WMATA's new general manager is listening before he even takes the reins
- What if Montgomery County gave BRT a temporary test run?
- Zig zag road stripes can get drivers to pay more attention