What counties are larger than whole states?
We know that DC has more people than Wyoming and about to pass Vermont. Reddit user desert_wombat created a map of all US counties that are more populous than some states.
With 9.8 million people, Los Angeles County is larger than North Carolina, the 10th most populous US state. (It's also geographically larger than Rhode Island and Delaware, combined).
Baltimore County (which doesn't include Baltimore City) is more populous than Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota and Alaska; Prince George's is also larger than South Dakota; Montgomery County larger than Delaware; and Fairfax County has more people than all of those as well as Montana and Rhode Island.
Thanks to Dan Malouff for the tip via Twitter.
- Consumers say they like trains. Why don't economists care?
- The Washington region is the world's 77th largest urban area
- Smarter growth will expand Prince George's tax base
- Topic of the week: Suburban retrofits in our region
- Montgomery backtracks on a sprawl-inducing highway
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 48
- The Silver Line might change how you bus to Wolf Trap