Breakfast links: Stay safe
Safe at night: A new Gallup poll shows that 72% of area residents feel safe walking by themselves at night, making the area about average when compared to the rest of the country. (DCist)
Walk safe in Fairfax: In time for spring, Fairfax County Police have started stepping up pedestrian safety enforcement. Police will ticket drivers who fail to stop for pedestrians and fine pedestrians who don't use the crosswalk. (WTOP)
Faster police: Metro Transit Police take on average 9 minutes to respond to a call, more than double what it takes BART's officers. WMATA wants to improve that time, though it may be difficult over such a large system. (Examiner)
Going off the rails: An out of service Metro train derailed coming out of the Brentwood rail yard. There were no injuries, but the incident did create minor delays. (Post)
Don't forget bikes: Alexandria is designing roads in Potomac Yard without bike lanes or other bike infrastructure, and that's a big mistake, says a cyclist. (Alexandria Times)
No FBI HQ at GPO: The GPO says a proposal to locate the FBI on their site near Union Station came as a surprise to them; they have no interest in moving. (DCist)
Georgetown wants the streetcar: Georgetown University wants the streetcar to go to its campus, not just stop at the waterfront; this is a less insular attitude than the university has had in the past. Joe Sternlieb of the BID also would like to see it have dedicated lanes to move faster. (Patch)
BID up Southwest: Southwest DC might get a business improvement district that would cover the entire quadrant west of the river and focus on bringing special events in an effort to enliven the neighborhood. (City Paper)
No-no go-go for park?: Mayor Gray wanted a lively park with music to honor Chuck Brown. Nearby residents are happy to honor Brown, but not so sure about the people and noise (and maybe crime) an outdoor amphitheater would bring. (Post)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Bad Metro reliability is driving riders away. WMATA has a few ideas to get them back.
- 9 things people always say at zoning hearings, illustrated by cats
- Montgomery will go ahead with BRT, but at what cost?
- The Northeast Corridor carries more rail passengers than anywhere else in the country. What could it look like in 2040?
- New York's subway has a great idea for Metro
- Tour the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers with Google Street View
- The National Zoo has clarified its safety concerns. Turns out you're the problem.