Breakfast links: The fix is coming
WMATA replacing 4000 series cars: WMATA exercised an option to buy more 7000 series railcars from Kawasaki, which is currently building cars for the Silver Line and to replace the 1000 series. The new order, which will take 6-8 years, will replace the failure-prone 4000 series cars. (Post)
Transit center will get repairs: Foulger-Pratt and its subcontractors will fix the Silver Spring transit center without any more taxpayer money. Repairs will not start until late summer, at best. (Post)
Will Arlington steal the food trucks?: Arlington is easing regulations for food trucks to help more operate there. Coupled with more restrictive proposed DC rules, some operators say they will just move across the river. (Patch)
Police fight crosswalk scofflaws: Fort Lee, NJ tried ticketing drivers who don't yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, but a lot of drivers just got angry. Will this change driver behavior over time, or not? (Atlantic Cities)
DC is the most "post-industrial": The Washington area has the highest ratio of services to goods, coming in at almost 3 times the national average. Other top finishers are New York, Miami, Tampa, and Boston. (Atlantic Cities)
Growth causes angst: A resident emails Michael Neibauer to complain about houses becoming condos or apartments and wants DC to suspend building permits, primarily because it's becoming harder to park. (WBJ)
And...: A cyclist was hit near the MLK memorial. (WashCycle) ... Bowie's railroad museum teaches homeschooled children about trains. (Gazette) ... New, pretty renderings are released of the proposed park for McMillan. (UrbanTurf)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- I don't care what some people say: DC has great transportation options.
- The biggest beneficiaries of housing subsidies? The wealthy.
- Clearly we need to have more happy hours in Prince George's
- Metro badly needs culture change, everyone agrees. Can it pull it off?
- How five local businesspeople would tackle gentrification on 14th Street
- VRE's map keeps getting more diagrammatic
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 90