Breakfast links: Strong Bonds
Bonds wins: Anita Bonds won Tuesday's special election with 32% of the vote. Elissa Silverman was second with 28%, Patrick Mara 23%, and Matt Frumin 11%. (Post)
Budget referendum passes easily: DC voters overwhelmingly supported the budget autonomy referendum Tuesday. Will DC's congressional overlords be upset by citizens asserting their rights? (DCist)
Regional transit system emerging in Maryland: Officials in Howard and Anne Arundel County are pushing for a truly regional bus system under a unified name and fare structure. (Baltimore Sun)
Fewer offices, more Silver Spring housing: A proposed office building switched to residential and is adding almost 300 apartments to downtown Silver Spring. The county planning office says this is part of a trend. (Gazette)
Bag fee for fewer stores?: 4 Montgomery councilmembers want to narrow the year-old bag fee to only affect stores that sell food (like DC's law). Council staff and the Department of Environmental Protection want the law to stay. (Examiner)
Tesla blocked from Virginia: Tesla wanted to open a showroom in Tysons, but Virginia law wouldn't allow it because they weren't going through a dealership. The Virginia Automobile Dealers Association lobbied for the decision. (WTOP)
Every stadium deal has a subsidy: Matt Yglesias is skeptical that a DC United stadium deal would be good for DC. The team may pay for the stadium but the land and infrastructure would be free. All that for 17 games per year. (Slate)
And...: The recently-announced Silver Line bids are just the first of many contracts for Phase 2. (Post) ... Pennsylvania Avenue finally reopens to pedestrians and cyclists. (NBC) ... A Beverly Hills driver mowed down a cyclist and was caught on camera. (Fox LA)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar
- "Park-Its" now protect the Pennsylvania Avenue bikeway
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."