Breakfast links: Caught on tape
Police ticket U turns on Penn: Bill Walsh caught a cab driver on video making an illegal U-turn across the Pennsylvania Avenue bike lanes... and then an FBI police officer put on his siren and pulled over the driver for the violation.
School buildings to charters: A new DC government website will help charter schools use vacant DCPS buuildings after 16 schools close this fall. All will go to charters, as the law requires, rather than some to city agencies. (City Paper)
Outer Beltway opposition grows: A former member of Virginia's Commonwealth Transportation Board speaks out against the Outer Beltway. The board delayed its vote at Rep. Frank Wolf's request amid opposition in Prince William County. (Post)
Suburban versus urban poverty: Poverty in America is increasingly moving to the suburbs, especially in places with poor transit. Thanks to isolation and lack of services, that poverty is also far less visible and solutions more difficult. (Atlantic Cities)
Fragile Northeast corridor: A commuter train derailement in Connecticut injured 70 and shut down Amtrak and Metro-North service for days. Crowding on limited bus alernatives shows how much people rely on the Northeast Corridor with little alternative to handle the demand if something goes wrong. (Streetsblog)
Uber still hates regulations: Uber is fighting against another round of regulations, which require using one of several specific payment providers while Uber already has its own. It also doesn't want to send GPS data to the Taxicab Commission. (Post, DCist)
And...: Glover Park residents don't want a strip club on Wisconsin Avenue. (Post) ... Here's where the vacant property is in Ward 1. (New Columbia Heights) ... Pedestrian crashes rise in Montgomery County. (WAMU)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- Cell service in tunnels, junking old rail cars, getting finances in order. Here's what's in Metro's Back2Good plan.
- What happens when people without cars move to places built for driving?
- Metro now has an official plan for getting better in 2017. It's called Back2Good.
- If racial inequities didn't exist, DC would look like this...
- WMATA recommended express bus service along 14th Street NW four years ago. Is it time to make it happen?
- The DC reps on the WMATA board might veto late-night closures