Video: Early days of Metro
While some of us can't imagine living without Metro, at one point in time not all that long ago it was brand new. This 1976 promotional video, via PlanItMetro, shows the system's earliest days:
Some areas have drastically changed since Metro arrived, like Rhode Island Avenue, which was surrpunded by parking lots and is now the site of mixed-use, transit-oriented development.
The video also features 2-car trains, which seems unimaginable in our era of 6- to 8-car trains.
What do you notice?
- Car-free housing could come to historic Blagden Alley
- Accounting for population, the world map looks totally different
- What's the best way to protect a bikeway? How about a bikeshare station?
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 36
- Bus stops around DC are getting real-time arrival displays
- Events roundup: Changes are coming
- Ottawa has a four mile ice skating highway