Video: Early days of Metro
While some of us can't imagine living without Metro, at one point in time not all that long ago it was brand new. This 1976 promotional video, via PlanItMetro, shows the system's earliest days:
Some areas have drastically changed since Metro arrived, like Rhode Island Avenue, which was surrpunded by parking lots and is now the site of mixed-use, transit-oriented development.
The video also features 2-car trains, which seems unimaginable in our era of 6- to 8-car trains.
What do you notice?
- Montgomery County isn't really waging war against suburbia
- Careful jaywalking saves lives
- Chick-fil-A's proposed Van Ness drive-thru is denied
- What will become of D Street once the FBI moves?
- 8 lessons about great transit I learned riding the Paris Métro
- National Links: From Florida to California
- Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet