Video: Early days of Metro
While some of us can't imagine living without Metro, at one point in time not all that long ago it was brand new. This 1976 promotional video, via PlanItMetro, shows the system's earliest days:
Some areas have drastically changed since Metro arrived, like Rhode Island Avenue, which was surrpunded by parking lots and is now the site of mixed-use, transit-oriented development.
The video also features 2-car trains, which seems unimaginable in our era of 6- to 8-car trains.
What do you notice?
- More roads won't solve traffic on I-95 in Northern Virginia
- How might the new Metro loop work?
- Want the urban lifestyle? DC's best corner is...
- Metro maps out loop line between DC and Arlington
- The reason cyclists love green bike lanes
- Can we build up around MARC stations?
- How does DC's proposed Metro loop compare?