What if the new Metro map were to scale?
Graphic designer Peter Dovak has created a geographically accurate version of the new Metro map that WMATA released last week.
Peter's map matches WMATA's style as closely as possible, except it's to scale. It looks stunningly like it could be an actual WMATA-produced map.
While this map is wonderful and fun, it also strongly illustrates why Metro opts for a more abstract official design. There's so much empty white space in the suburbs, and the core is so cluttered, that a less accurate diagram is easier for riders to read.
See more at Peter's website.
Cross-posted at BeyondDC.
- No bike racks? Just park it in the car lane
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 21
- Could traffic changes produce a new village square?
- This federal building is missing a corner. Here's why
- The biggest bikeshare station in each US city
- Why build protected bike lanes, in one happy quote
- Some see the DCPS-charter relationship breaking down, but charter leaders disagree