WMATA shows off vintage Metrorail construction pictures
WMATA's Metro Forward Facebook page has a fun set of Metrorail construction pictures, dating from the mid-1970s. They're a fascinating look back at a wholly different Washington.
The most interesting may be a 1974 picture of Gallery Place under construction. What's now the Verizon Center is a dirt patch and a collection of holes.
But my favorite is probably the one of Archives station in June, 1975, pictured above. In the picture, workers have yet to add the tracks, platforms, or mezzanines, so the vaulted ceiling runs uninterrupted for the entire length of the station. It looks so much more voluminous!
Cross-posted at BeyondDC.
- WhichWMATA week 19: On vacation
- Baltimore plans to replace beach volleyball with a parking garage
- This could have been the Silver Spring Transit Center
- Could rooftop apartments transform suburban retail?
- A cycletrack appears in Pentagon City
- Michelle Rhee takes a break from education reform
- How do you get people excited about Bus Rapid Transit? Bring a bus to the county fair