Enough broken promises from DDOT
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) promised to complete a number of important projects by now or by the end of this year. Quick quiz: Can you identify which of these have met or will meet the promised deadline?
- Start streetcar service on H Street NE-Benning Road by the end of the year.
- Devise a better system for handling visitor parking passes and residential permit parking.
- Start building a separated bike lane (or "cycletrack") on M Street NW.
- Expand Capital Bikeshare to twice its original size.
- Make pedestrian safety improvements to Maryland Avenue NE.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of a new median on Wisconsin Avenue NW in Glover Park.
The answer: None of the above. DDOT has delayed or given up on all of these promises.
Continue reading my latest op-ed in the Washington Post.
- DC's housing affordability crisis, in 7 charts
- As Silver Spring urbanizes, neighbors disagree on who "belongs" there
- It's time we all became mode-positive
- An entrance at the Van Ness Metro station is about to close for three years
- What's behind the budget cuts at Wilson High School
- Alexandria closes in on Potomac Yard Metro location
- There's plenty of room for safe bike lanes in College Park