Enough broken promises from DDOT
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) promised to complete a number of important projects by now or by the end of this year. Quick quiz: Can you identify which of these have met or will meet the promised deadline?
- Start streetcar service on H Street NE-Benning Road by the end of the year.
- Devise a better system for handling visitor parking passes and residential permit parking.
- Start building a separated bike lane (or "cycletrack") on M Street NW.
- Expand Capital Bikeshare to twice its original size.
- Make pedestrian safety improvements to Maryland Avenue NE.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of a new median on Wisconsin Avenue NW in Glover Park.
The answer: None of the above. DDOT has delayed or given up on all of these promises.
Continue reading my latest op-ed in the Washington Post.
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 61
- A senseless skirmish in Toronto is a welcome reminder to share street space
- Help us rebrand and relaunch our website with a short survey
- Lousiana Avenue could get a protected bikeway
- Prince George's County could move its government closer to more residents
- Denver's beautiful Union Station mixes old and new
- What we hope to do on housing