Enough broken promises from DDOT
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) promised to complete a number of important projects by now or by the end of this year. Quick quiz: Can you identify which of these have met or will meet the promised deadline?
- Start streetcar service on H Street NE-Benning Road by the end of the year.
- Devise a better system for handling visitor parking passes and residential permit parking.
- Start building a separated bike lane (or "cycletrack") on M Street NW.
- Expand Capital Bikeshare to twice its original size.
- Make pedestrian safety improvements to Maryland Avenue NE.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of a new median on Wisconsin Avenue NW in Glover Park.
The answer: None of the above. DDOT has delayed or given up on all of these promises.
Continue reading my latest op-ed in the Washington Post.
- Fun on Friday: Play the Mini Metro game
- Adding 15-minute Circulator routes would dilute the Circulator brand
- What's the point of supermarket gas rewards if you don't drive to the store?
- Comparing Metrobus and Metrorail farebox recovery is apples and oranges
- Design could make or break the 11th Street Bridge Park
- Metro FAQ: Why does Metro run express trains in one direction during single-tracking?
- For DC Council in Ward 1: Brianne Nadeau