Breakfast links: 2 Mount Vernons, many visions
Spa in NW, poor in Anacostia?: A vacant lot will become a gateway to Mount Vernon Triangle. Options include a residential building, mixed-use complex, and office building. But one proposal, by Don Peebles, would include a doggie day spa but place required affordable housing in Anacostia, instead. (City Paper, CHOTR)
Mount Vernon v. urban blight: Residents of Mount Vernon in Fairfax County want to revitalize Route 1 with "high-end, family-oriented businesses." Instead, title loan companies, which current zoning allows, fill the corridor. (Post)
Expanding transit beyond Metrorail: 25 corridors could support high-capacity surface transit as part of WMATA's proposed 2040 transit network. High-capacity transit could mean bus rapid transit, light rail, and/or streetcar. (PlanItMetro)
Nonprofit tax exemptions fading: As local governments try to make up for lost revenue, many are eyeing nonprofits for extra cash. Nonprofits often fill gaps in government services, but should they remain tax-exempt? (Post)
MGM casino coming 2016: MGM was selected to build a casino overlooking National Harbor in Prince George's County. The development will include a hotel, theater, meeting space, high-end retail, and at least 4 restaurants. (WBJ)
Surge into the New Year: Uber riders will surely see surge pricing on New Year's Eve. Surge pricing makes a lot of people angry, but is it really unfair? (City Paper, Post)
And...: Mayor Gray wants DC to be the hippest city in America. (City Paper) ... Take a survey about what you think about historic preservation. ... A sewage treatment plant in Montgomery County will use solar power to cut electricity costs. (Post)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- If the FBI moves to Greenbelt, here's what it will look like
- Many Silver Line riders have no way to safely reach their offices
- In White Oak, the region's east-west divide becomes an urban-suburban one
- Why is Tysons walkability and bikeability so bad?
- A greener Eastern Market plaza may be on the way
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 16
- How big of a "moat" would the FBI need if it stayed downtown?
- Do Henderson's remarks at Stanton Elementary signal a more harmonious phase in DCPS-charter relations?
- DCPS and charters are sparring over joint planning, but the real question is how to preserve neighborhood schools
- DCPS and its teachers' union are at an impasse over extending the school day. Could this be a way out?