Breakfast links: 2 Mount Vernons, many visions
Spa in NW, poor in Anacostia?: A vacant lot will become a gateway to Mount Vernon Triangle. Options include a residential building, mixed-use complex, and office building. But one proposal, by Don Peebles, would include a doggie day spa but place required affordable housing in Anacostia, instead. (City Paper, CHOTR)
Mount Vernon v. urban blight: Residents of Mount Vernon in Fairfax County want to revitalize Route 1 with "high-end, family-oriented businesses." Instead, title loan companies, which current zoning allows, fill the corridor. (Post)
Expanding transit beyond Metrorail: 25 corridors could support high-capacity surface transit as part of WMATA's proposed 2040 transit network. High-capacity transit could mean bus rapid transit, light rail, and/or streetcar. (PlanItMetro)
Nonprofit tax exemptions fading: As local governments try to make up for lost revenue, many are eyeing nonprofits for extra cash. Nonprofits often fill gaps in government services, but should they remain tax-exempt? (Post)
MGM casino coming 2016: MGM was selected to build a casino overlooking National Harbor in Prince George's County. The development will include a hotel, theater, meeting space, high-end retail, and at least 4 restaurants. (WBJ)
Surge into the New Year: Uber riders will surely see surge pricing on New Year's Eve. Surge pricing makes a lot of people angry, but is it really unfair? (City Paper, Post)
And...: Mayor Gray wants DC to be the hippest city in America. (City Paper) ... Take a survey about what you think about historic preservation. ... A sewage treatment plant in Montgomery County will use solar power to cut electricity costs. (Post)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."
- Metro's flooded stations, in pictures
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar