Breakfast links: Cold and white
Brr!: It snowed, and now is really cold! There were disabled trains causing delays at Bethesda and Rosslyn, and on MARC. How was your commute? (Post)
Transforming away from crime: Prince George's effort of focusing government services to fight crime seems to be working. The 6 Transforming Neighborhood Inititive communites saw dramatic drops in violent crime. (Post)
The long road of the Bi-County: The Bi-County Parkway has a long and complex history, including an unpopular PR campaign from VDOT in support of the road. A new governor could add more uncertainty to the road's future. (LoudounTimes)
Faster but concentrated?: The DC Housing Authority may sell off some property in the Capitol Riverfront neighborhood to jump-start building of affordable units. But the move would concentrate affordable units in one building. (City Paper)
Meet the new CFO: Jeffery DeWitt starts as DC's CFO today. DeWitt previously was Phoenix's CFO before taking over for the retiring Natwar Gandhi. (WTOP)
Metro wants to hear from you: WMATA wants people to take a survey on fares and what priority capital improvement projects, like escalator repair, should take.
The great Metrothon: One man is going to attempt to exit all 86 Metro stations tomorrow. Can he make it before the system closes? (Patch)
And...: 7 Democrats turned in enough signatures to qualify for the mayoral ballot in DC. (City Paper) ... What words and phrases should urbanists stop using? (Atlantic Cities) ... A documentary from a DC bike thief's perspective is in the works. (DCist)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Topic of the week: Banning cycling on sidewalks
- A new bill would ban cycling or Segway riding on DC sidewalks next to bike lanes
- The 11th Street Bridge Park gets a brilliant design. Will it succeed?
- What would you call Loudoun's Metro stations?
- David Catania on Metro, economic development, streetcars, affordable housing, bike lanes, building heights, and more
- After more crashes, DDOT pledges to remove Arkansas Avenue's rush hour lane
- No, DC is not abandoning plans for most streetcar lines
Fri Oct 24
9:00 am Urban agriculture symposium
Sat Oct 25
10:00 am Le Tour d’Alexandria Library
3:00 pm CSG tour: College Park
Mon Oct 27
5:30 pm Georgetown MUP speaker series
Tue Oct 28