Breakfast links: Cold and white
Brr!: It snowed, and now is really cold! There were disabled trains causing delays at Bethesda and Rosslyn, and on MARC. How was your commute? (Post)
Transforming away from crime: Prince George's effort of focusing government services to fight crime seems to be working. The 6 Transforming Neighborhood Inititive communites saw dramatic drops in violent crime. (Post)
The long road of the Bi-County: The Bi-County Parkway has a long and complex history, including an unpopular PR campaign from VDOT in support of the road. A new governor could add more uncertainty to the road's future. (LoudounTimes)
Faster but concentrated?: The DC Housing Authority may sell off some property in the Capitol Riverfront neighborhood to jump-start building of affordable units. But the move would concentrate affordable units in one building. (City Paper)
Meet the new CFO: Jeffery DeWitt starts as DC's CFO today. DeWitt previously was Phoenix's CFO before taking over for the retiring Natwar Gandhi. (WTOP)
Metro wants to hear from you: WMATA wants people to take a survey on fares and what priority capital improvement projects, like escalator repair, should take.
The great Metrothon: One man is going to attempt to exit all 86 Metro stations tomorrow. Can he make it before the system closes? (Patch)
And...: 7 Democrats turned in enough signatures to qualify for the mayoral ballot in DC. (City Paper) ... What words and phrases should urbanists stop using? (Atlantic Cities) ... A documentary from a DC bike thief's perspective is in the works. (DCist)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Consumers say they like trains. Why don't economists care?
- With Metro, "on time" doesn't mean what you think it means
- Alexandria has identified locations for its next 16 bikeshare stations
- There's history to behold on some of DC's manhole covers
- To bike without worrying about nearby cars, I'm happy on the MBT
- See the beginnings of the Purple Line in Silver Spring
- Transit to Wolf Trap will still run through West Falls Church