Then and Now: 1400 block of Pennsylvania Avenue
Then (left): The south side of the 1400 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, ca. 1918, captured during a Food Administration Parade. The banner in front of Poli's Theater reads: "Food Will Win the War". Image from the Library of Congress National Photo Company Collection.
Now (right): The south side of the 1400 block has been completely razed and is a park today. The only recognizable buildings to have survived are the District Building (now the John A. Wilson Building) and the Old Post Office.
- Bikeshare is a gateway to private biking, not competition
- Latest Metro map drafts add Anacostia parks and other tweaks
- Short-term Washingtonians deserve a voice, too
- DC Council makes major policy changes overnight
- Judge denies injunction against closing schools
- Public land deals have both benefits and pitfalls
- Parklets give every block a little park