Events roundup: From Silver Spring to Shaw to Sweden
Talk about transit, walkability, and sustainability in Montgomery County, Shaw, and even Sweden at upcoming events around the region.
Rapid transit happy hour: If you like chatting about transit while enjoying a post-work beverage, join Communities for Transit and the Coalition for Smarter Growth at a Montgomery County transit happy hour on Tuesday, April 15.
Learn about the county's Bus Rapid Transit plans and talk with other transit enthusiasts at the Metro- and MARC-accessible Communities for Transit office, 8630 Fenton Street, Suite 500, in Silver Spring. RSVP here.
After the jump: Walking tours of Shaw and East Falls Church, budgets in Arlington, and zoning in Montgomery County.
Smart growth and sustainability in Sweden: Interested in how other cities handle neighborhood and district planning? Walker Wells, a green urbanism program director at Global Green, will discuss sustainable planning practices in three Swedish cities: Stockholm, Gothenburg, and Malmo. The presentation is at the National Building Museum (401 F Street NW) on Tuesday, April 15, 12:30-1:30 pm. RSVP here.
Tour Shaw and East Falls Church: The Coalition for Smarter Growth's walking tours resume with two great ones this month. On Saturday, April 26 from 10 am-noon, see how new development is bringing a renaissance to the historic Shaw neighborhood in DC. And on Saturday, look at ways the area around East Falls Church Metro could become more walkable and bikeable. Space is limited so RSVP today!
Arlington Capital Improvement Plan forum: Arlington is preparing its 2015-2024 Capital Improvement Plan and needs your input! From streetcar funding to pedestrian projects to street paving, provide your opinions at a public forum on Wednesday, April 16 from 6-8:30 pm in the County Board Room, 2100 Clarendon Blvd at Courthouse Plaza.
Montgomery zoning update open house: Montgomery County planners have been hard at work rewriting the county's zoning code to update antiquated laws and remove redundant regulations. The Planning Department is hosting a series of six open houses beginning next Tuesday, April 22. Planning staff will be in attendance to answer questions. The full open house schedule is below:
- April 22: Rockville Memorial Library (6-8 pm)
- April 24: Wheaton Regional Library (6-8 pm)
- April 29: Park and Planning Headquarters, Silver Spring (5-8 pm)
- May 1: Marilyn J. Praisner Library, Burtonsville (6-8 pm)
- May 5: UpCounty Regional Services Center, Germantown (6-8 pm)
- May 6: B-CC Regional Services Center, Bethesda (6-8 pm)
- Muriel Bowser promises to finish the DC streetcar from Georgetown to Ward 7
- It wouldn't cost much to make this Prince George's road safer for everyone
- Breakfast links: Never gonna give you up
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 45
- Think you know Metro's neighborhoods? This quiz might surprise you
- You don't need a car to run a successful small business
- Mayor Bowser announces new "Funiculator" initiative