Breakfast links: CaBi safely
Only 95 CaBi crashes since 2010: Since launching in September 2010, there have only been 95 reported crashes on Capital Bikeshare, despite over 7 million trips. There have been zero fatalities, and only 31 of the crashes involved a hospital visit. (City Paper)
Fast ferry to Virginia: The Northern Virginia Regional Commission won a nearly $4 million grant to run two high-speed ferries between the Alexandria waterfront and
the Navy Yard Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling. (WTOP, Catherine)
Metro's got talent: Metro is holding auditions for the "MetroPerforms!" program. They're looking for musicians, dancers, poets, and other performers to perform outside of certain Metrorail entrances this summer as well as at Music on the Mall. (Post)
Historic parking lots: In the early days of historic preservation, parking lots were the bane of historic buildings. Now some of the lots are part of historic applications creating problems for planners and preservationists. (History Sidebar, Capitol Heights)
France to pay people to bike: The French government is experimenting with a program to subsidize employees who bike to work. France wants to increase its proportion of bike commuters, which is much lower than in the Netherlands and Germany. (Streetsblog)
And...: A new bipartisan transportation bill would give localities more access to federal funds. (Streetsblog) ... Petworth's new Safeway will open soon, replacing a much older one. (City Paper) ... A sinkhole has closed a block of G Street to cars. (DCist)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Topic of the week: Banning cycling on sidewalks
- A new bill would ban cycling or Segway riding on DC sidewalks next to bike lanes
- No, DC is not abandoning plans for most streetcar lines
- The 11th Street Bridge Park gets a brilliant design. Will it succeed?
- What would you call Loudoun's Metro stations?
- David Catania on Metro, economic development, streetcars, affordable housing, bike lanes, building heights, and more
- After more crashes, DDOT pledges to remove Arkansas Avenue's rush hour lane
Sat Oct 25
10:00 am Le Tour d’Alexandria Library
3:00 pm CSG tour: College Park
Mon Oct 27
5:30 pm Georgetown MUP speaker series
Tue Oct 28