Breakfast links: CaBi safely
Only 95 CaBi crashes since 2010: Since launching in September 2010, there have only been 95 reported crashes on Capital Bikeshare, despite over 7 million trips. There have been zero fatalities, and only 31 of the crashes involved a hospital visit. (City Paper)
Fast ferry to Virginia: The Northern Virginia Regional Commission won a nearly $4 million grant to run two high-speed ferries between the Alexandria waterfront and
the Navy Yard Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling. (WTOP, Catherine)
Metro's got talent: Metro is holding auditions for the "MetroPerforms!" program. They're looking for musicians, dancers, poets, and other performers to perform outside of certain Metrorail entrances this summer as well as at Music on the Mall. (Post)
Historic parking lots: In the early days of historic preservation, parking lots were the bane of historic buildings. Now some of the lots are part of historic applications creating problems for planners and preservationists. (History Sidebar, Capitol Heights)
France to pay people to bike: The French government is experimenting with a program to subsidize employees who bike to work. France wants to increase its proportion of bike commuters, which is much lower than in the Netherlands and Germany. (Streetsblog)
And...: A new bipartisan transportation bill would give localities more access to federal funds. (Streetsblog) ... Petworth's new Safeway will open soon, replacing a much older one. (City Paper) ... A sinkhole has closed a block of G Street to cars. (DCist)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- This may be DC's most ridiculous missing crosswalk
- Is a gondola across the Potomac realistic? We're about to find out.
- Trump claims to want to save our cities, but his and his party's policies would do the opposite
- What's wrong with this map of DC's social services?
- Not everyone agrees on where DC's Chinatown is
- We asked and you answered. Here's a summary of the 1,380 ideas you submitted to MetroGreater.
- In 1979, was your neighborhood "sound" or "distressed"?