Map: A half-mile walk to Metro
PlanItMetro made this cool map showing what's within a 1/2-mile walk from each Metro station. It's easy to see how the street network affects where you can walk.
As contributor Dan Reed points out, the walkshed is bigger in areas with a street grid and short blocks. On the other hand, barriers like highways, rail lines, and superblocks reduce the area you can walk to.
What patterns do you see?
Be sure to check out the full region map for stations outside the core.
- Not just a phase: Young Americans won’t start motoring like their parents
- Many Silver Line riders make a long trek from Metro's eastern branches
- Sharrows tell drivers to share the road with cyclists, except when that road is a state highway
- Architects try to spruce up NoMA's underpasses
- Intelsat building gets a greener, but not more urban front
- Landover is not the place for the FBI
- Where DC area bike fatalities happen, in one map... and what's the real "intersection of doom"