Map: A half-mile walk to Metro
PlanItMetro made this cool map showing what's within a 1/2-mile walk from each Metro station. It's easy to see how the street network affects where you can walk.
As contributor Dan Reed points out, the walkshed is bigger in areas with a street grid and short blocks. On the other hand, barriers like highways, rail lines, and superblocks reduce the area you can walk to.
What patterns do you see?
Be sure to check out the full region map for stations outside the core.
- This building is way too short
- Five bus lines everyone in DC should know, love, and use
- DC Council chairman Phil Mendelson is blocking Mayor Bowser's zoning board nominee
- Chicago has examples of a cheap way to bring rail transit to more people: infill stations
- Petworth residents complained drivers are speeding. DC says it's true, but "acceptable."
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 70
- Here's where a protected bikeway could go on the east side of downtown