Map: A half-mile walk to Metro
PlanItMetro made this cool map showing what's within a 1/2-mile walk from each Metro station. It's easy to see how the street network affects where you can walk.
As contributor Dan Reed points out, the walkshed is bigger in areas with a street grid and short blocks. On the other hand, barriers like highways, rail lines, and superblocks reduce the area you can walk to.
What patterns do you see?
Be sure to check out the full region map for stations outside the core.
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 44
- Here's where Metro railcars go after they die
- Cities Skylines takes over SimCity's mantle as top city-builder
- WMATA needs to do better, says DC transportation head
- A bikeable suburban highway? One Ohio town pulled it off
- Check out these historic airline maps of Washington's airports
- Tax benefit changes and better options are hurting transit ridership