Map: A half-mile walk to Metro
PlanItMetro made this cool map showing what's within a 1/2-mile walk from each Metro station. It's easy to see how the street network affects where you can walk.
As contributor Dan Reed points out, the walkshed is bigger in areas with a street grid and short blocks. On the other hand, barriers like highways, rail lines, and superblocks reduce the area you can walk to.
What patterns do you see?
Be sure to check out the full region map for stations outside the core.
- Car-free housing could come to historic Blagden Alley
- The neighborhood where everybody "jaywalks"
- All the buildings and races of DC, Arlington & Alexandria on one map
- Bills in the Virginia General Assembly would hurt and help transit and cyclists
- We need Metro, but it drives us crazy, too
- What's the best way to protect a bikeway? How about a bikeshare station?
- Koch-funded groups: Cut all federal funding for walking, biking, transit