Map: A half-mile walk to Metro
PlanItMetro made this cool map showing what's within a 1/2-mile walk from each Metro station. It's easy to see how the street network affects where you can walk.
As contributor Dan Reed points out, the walkshed is bigger in areas with a street grid and short blocks. On the other hand, barriers like highways, rail lines, and superblocks reduce the area you can walk to.
What patterns do you see?
Be sure to check out the full region map for stations outside the core.
- Metro's inefficient info displays worsen crowding
- This map shows which parts of the DC area are really "urban" and "suburban"
- Muriel Bowser predicts DC holds 800,000 people in 20 years. That requires a lot of new housing.
- Neighborhood commission catches "height-itis" on a Dupont Circle church and condo project
- Finally, the stop signs residents pushed for... along with some startling news
- Here are the answers to whichWMATA week 60
- What's behind the low standardized test scores in one high-priced DC neighborhood