Breakfast links: What the future has in store
Metro cell service coming to some stations: By mid-October, the 20 busiest Metro stations should provide coverage for all cell phone carriers. The remaining stations and tunnels won't all be finished, however, until 2012. (Post, Joey)
Google Street View Trike: Google has deployed a camera-laden tricycle to capture car-less streets for Google Street View. This would be great for local shared-use trails. (Wired, mooniker)
Smart Growth in Waxman-Markey: The climate change bill in the House of Representatives contains some promising provisions on smart growth. Section 841, "Greenhouse gas emissions reductions through transportation efficiency," directs states to develop GHG reduction plans and submit them to EPA, including smart growth and nonmotorized infrastructure measures, and encourages "Complete Streets" policies. However, it doesn't actually require the states to meet any particular targets in this area. (House Energy and Commerce, Erica)
Triangular parking: Paul S. suggests revamping the RPP streets in Mount Vernon Triangle to reflect new development, adding meters onto streets which now contain retail storefronts. (The Triangle)
Outdoor movies aren't gone: Screen on the Green may have been canceled, but NoMA is still showing outdoor movies this summer, as are Rosslyn, Crystal City and Strathmore.
Making the median: New Hampshire Avenue in Petworth is getting its long-awaited median. (Petworth News)
Blogging salon tonight: Tonight, I'll be discussing "the role of the Internet in urban advocacy" with other DC urban bloggers at the Next American City salon. $20 at the door gets you admission plus a one-year subscription to the magazine. 7 pm at The Space, 903 N St NW.Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."
- Metro's flooded stations, in pictures
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar