Then and Now: The Dunbar Hotel
Then (left): The Dunbar Hotel on 15th Street between U and V. Pictured here ca. 1950, it was originally completed in 1902 as the Portner Flats. The Portner family sold the apartment building in 1945, and it reopened as the Dunbar Hotel, Washington's leading elite black hotel. The Dunbar declined after the City's other hotels integrated, and the building was razed in 1974. Image from the Smithsonian Institution.
- Why the left is wrong about affordable housing
- Why the right is wrong about affordable housing
- What makes a city attractive? Here's how to know for sure
- Expand a highway to get a sidewalk? How about just build the sidewalk.
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 41
- Terrorism fear takes over security at the Library of Congress
- Ask GGW: What are the best urban planning and policy books?