Then and Now: The Dunbar Hotel
Then (left): The Dunbar Hotel on 15th Street between U and V. Pictured here ca. 1950, it was originally completed in 1902 as the Portner Flats. The Portner family sold the apartment building in 1945, and it reopened as the Dunbar Hotel, Washington's leading elite black hotel. The Dunbar declined after the City's other hotels integrated, and the building was razed in 1974. Image from the Smithsonian Institution.
- Metro proposes ending late-night service PERMANENTLY. That's a terrible idea.
- DC's 43,766 acres: 25% "roads," 2% high-rises
- What do you think of these bike plans for Columbia Pike?
- Find out your personal Metro on-time stats with this tool
- This may be DC's most ridiculous missing crosswalk
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 88
- An 1886 plan would have built atop Rock Creek