Then and Now: The Dunbar Hotel
Then (left): The Dunbar Hotel on 15th Street between U and V. Pictured here ca. 1950, it was originally completed in 1902 as the Portner Flats. The Portner family sold the apartment building in 1945, and it reopened as the Dunbar Hotel, Washington's leading elite black hotel. The Dunbar declined after the City's other hotels integrated, and the building was razed in 1974. Image from the Smithsonian Institution.
- Rosslyn's new mini Target fills an urban retail niche
- I'm an employer, and I support DC's family leave bill
- The feds are taking over WMATA safety, which is unprecedented
- Dear leaders, please get Metro on the right course
- Apartments on Pennsylvania Avenue? The FBI building's replacement may be more than offices
- Public officials who communicate their plans, listen to feedback, and then fix errors aren't idiots
- Capital Bikeshare will add 99 DC stations over 3 years. Your neighborhood will probably benefit.