Then and Now: The Dunbar Hotel
Then (left): The Dunbar Hotel on 15th Street between U and V. Pictured here ca. 1950, it was originally completed in 1902 as the Portner Flats. The Portner family sold the apartment building in 1945, and it reopened as the Dunbar Hotel, Washington's leading elite black hotel. The Dunbar declined after the City's other hotels integrated, and the building was razed in 1974. Image from the Smithsonian Institution.
- Let's stand by the Silver Line
- Near National airport, the Mount Vernon Trail is new again
- A big development in Woodley Park may spark DC's next housing battle
- DC is on the verge of ditching a harmful traffic law
- What are your ideas to make Metro greater?
- N Street NW has new bike lanes
- Ask GGWash: Why did the Cleveland Park Metro station flood?