Then and Now: The Dunbar Hotel
Then (left): The Dunbar Hotel on 15th Street between U and V. Pictured here ca. 1950, it was originally completed in 1902 as the Portner Flats. The Portner family sold the apartment building in 1945, and it reopened as the Dunbar Hotel, Washington's leading elite black hotel. The Dunbar declined after the City's other hotels integrated, and the building was razed in 1974. Image from the Smithsonian Institution.
- How might the new Metro loop work?
- More roads won't solve traffic on I-95 in Northern Virginia
- Want the urban lifestyle? DC's best corner is...
- Can we build up around MARC stations?
- The reason cyclists love green bike lanes
- How does DC's proposed Metro loop compare?
- What's the oldest continuously named street in DC?