Then and Now: Third Church
Then (left): The home occupied by Justice Horace Gray. Gray was on the Supreme Court from 1882 to 1902. This structure later became the location of a Christian Science Reading Room.
Now (right): The Brutalist Third Church of Christ, Scientist. The church was built in 1971. Since opening, the building has not been well suited for the church, which has experienced declining attendance at its services. It currently has received the green light for demolition.
Thanks to reader Sean for the suggestion.
Did you enjoy this article? Greater Greater Washington is running a reader drive to raise funds so we can keep editing and publishing great articles every day. Please help us be sustainable by making a monthly, yearly, or one-time contribution today!
- I-66 widening will happen soon whether it makes sense or not
- Modern Washingtonians have a mandate to remember black Georgetown
- Eckington is getting some much-needed retail
- How the Navy, baseball, and government planners made Capitol Riverfront one of DC's hottest neighborhoods
- More than 20% of people bicycle to work in some DC neighborhoods
- DC once had its own Arc de Triomphe
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 77