Lost Washington: The Savoy Theater
After purchasing the Savoy, Crandall closed the theater for two months for extensive renovations. When he reopened in September of 1916, and after spending several thousand dollars more, the changes were reported as being so radical, with decorations so elaboration both inside and out, that patrons familiar with the old theater had a hard time believing the new Beaux Arts inspired structure was the same place.
An interesting feature of the Savoy was a trellised open-air theater to the right and behind which allowed audiences to watch movies outside during Washington's muggy summer evenings. This space later disappeared.
Later, the Savoy enjoyed success as a third-run house, playing films exactly one week after they played at the Tivoli, the Tivoli charging 15 cents more than the Savoy's ticket price of 40 cents ca. 1950.
Ultimately, the Savoy was burned in the April riots of 1968 and razed in 1971.
- Landover is not the place for the FBI
- Not just a phase: Young Americans won’t start motoring like their parents
- After more crashes, DDOT pledges to remove Arkansas Avenue's rush hour lane
- Sharrows tell drivers to share the road with cyclists, except when that road is a state highway
- Is Sheridan Station a sign of change east of the river, or more of the same?
- Many Silver Line riders make a long trek from Metro's eastern branches
- Where DC area bike fatalities happen, in one map... and what's the real "intersection of doom"