Breakfast links: 14th, car-centrism, and you
Noise on 14th, from bars and politics: One 14th Street liquor license fight has concluded, and another is just beginning. In the first, Bar Pilar and Saint-Ex successfully sought to change their liquor license. Residents east of 14th charged that Dupont ANC Comissioner Ramon Estrada, his video camera-wielding partner, and former DCCA board member Phyllis Klein were inappropriately employing delay tactics to block the negotiated voluntary agreement. The newest fight will surround the planned Local 14 bar near 14th and Swann, whose proposed rooftop deck until 2 or 3 am has residents concerned. (14th & You)
Huge garage better than daytime neighborhood activity?: CakeLove, located just two blocks from Metro and whose business thrives thanks to the many residents and workers in the area, advocated tearing down the Reeves Center to replace it with a giant parking garage. The daytime office workers in that building patronize area businesses and help keep them successful, especially the non-bars; if anything, 14th Street needs more daytime activity. They're still linking to this article from their directions page, which also encourages people to double park. How about advocating for some 15-minute restricted parking or performance-based parking, which would really help their business? (Geoff H, Melissa)
DC, MD fix it first; VA widens it first: Smart Growth America evaluated states' stimulus spending from the first 120 days. DC is spending 41.5% of its share on transit or bike/ped investments, and dedicated 100% of its road budget repairing existing infrastructure rather than adding new capacity. Maryland put only 6.1% to transit/bike/ped, but also used 100% of its road budget for repairs. Virginia, on the other hand, put 5.2% to transit/bike/ped but only 60% of its road budget to repairs, with the other 40% going to building new capacity, despite 54% of its current roads not being in "good" condition. (Gavin Baker)
Pedestrian strikes front of fast-moving police cruiser: Last year, a DC police officer driving a cruiser struck and killed a pedestrian; now, the family is suing, claiming police altered the crash scene. Reporter Michael Neibauer notices that the police report used especially ridiculous language, claiming that the pedestrian "ran into the right side of a marked police vehicle" without also mentioning the cruiser's speed. That's pretty close to "A person struck a bullet moving in the opposite direction." (Examiner)
And...: Arlington has banned the County government from buying bottled water, as the bottles involve fossil fuel consumption to make and transport, then often end up as litter (Gavin Baker) ... Metro is moving the 1000-series to the centers of trains, but has to shuffle cars between yards before they can complete the task (Post) ... How would you recommend train operators announce when 6-car trains will be pulling to the end of the platform, forcing those standing at the wrong end to walk down? (Get There)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- BREAKING: Arlington cancels the Columbia Pike streetcar
- Transit projects are stuck between people who want to spend less money and people who want to spend more
- Is sidewalk cycling really dangerous, or just scary, like a roller coaster?
- Without a streetcar, what's next for Columbia Pike, technically and politically?
- DC will force property owners to shovel sidewalks, with higher fines for bigger and commercial buildings
- DDOT director Brown stands up to opposition to mini-circles
- Do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 29
Mon Nov 17
5:30 pm Georgetown MUP speaker series
Tue Nov 18
Wed Nov 19
6:00 pm CSG fall supporter happy hour
Thu Nov 20
6:00 pm NCAC-
APA Awards Ceremony
Fri Nov 21
6:30 pm Holiday Tree Lighting