The high cost of bad parking arguments
Why parking is not like ice cream: Why don't downtown business districts give people free gas to shop downtown? Sound like a crazy idea? Then why do so many businesses argue for free parking? Ian Sacs gives a good overview of Shoupism. (Planetizen)
The high cost of Rockville garages: Rockville can't decide what to do about their $36 million Town Center garages, which aren't paying for themselves despite rosy predictions during initial planning. The city is spending almost a million dollars a year of taxpayer money paying for the garages, but businesses are resistant to extending the $1/hour charge from 7 pm to 10 pm. The article doesn't specify how full the garages are during these times. (The Sentinel via FLOG)
The high cost of free evening parking: Meanwhile, the City of Sacramento is considering extending its downtown metered parking hours past 6 pm, in an effort to reduce cruising and pollution, and to attempt to drive some people into off-street lots that currently charge $2-10 per night. According to the city, the on-street spaces are 98% full on Friday evenings with nearby off-street parking empty. Businesses are unsurprisingly cold to the idea. (Sacramento Bee, Michael P)
Vote Wonder Woman: It's just for fun, but the New Organizing Institute's mock DC election is more and more hinging on whether enforcing street cleaning rules makes sense. Take a moment from your slow Friday afternoon and Vote Wonder Woman for Mayor of DC in the mock election. She also supports streetcars.
- We know where most of DC's population lives. Does Metro run through those places?
- Term limits are a terrible idea for Montgomery County
- WMATA is considering scrapping the Metroway BRT
- Metro is proposing service cuts, again. Will riders ever see the benefits?
- Our endorsements for ANC in Ward 2
- Our endorsements for ANC in Ward 6
- Here's why it'd be wrong to shut down Metro east of the Anacostia River