Feet in the Street Saturday in Fort Dupont
Tomorrow, Saturday, is Feet in the Street, DC's first foray into the Ciclovia/Summer Streets/Sunday Streets phenomenon, where cities around the world close down streets in densely populated areas to create linear festivals. People walk, bike, and rollerblade through their city in ways not possible normally. Stops along the way provide entertainment, education, refreshment, and more.
After Petworth neighbors panned an initial proposal to run an event on Kansas Avenue, DC officials settled on Fort Dupont Park. While this misses the point a bit, it's a first step toward trying this out in DC. If this is successful, it will help build the case for such an event through more neighborhoods next year. Hopefully it won't rain too much.
- Guided nature hikes
- Invasive plant removal outings
- Free 2-hour bike rentals
- Healthy food workshops
- Community garden tours
- Bike rides and bike classes
- Fitness classes, workouts, and blood sugar/pressure testing
- In-line skating, boxing, and tennis
- Musical performance
- No bike racks? Just park it in the car lane
- How did Silver Spring get its boundaries? And how would you define them?
- Reassign students before improving school quality, not the other way around
- This federal building is missing a corner. Here's why
- Why build protected bike lanes, in one happy quote
- Alexandria's Metroway BRT: Open and carrying passengers
- Do you know the station? It's whichWMATA week 20