Feet in the Street Saturday in Fort Dupont
Tomorrow, Saturday, is Feet in the Street, DC's first foray into the Ciclovia/Summer Streets/Sunday Streets phenomenon, where cities around the world close down streets in densely populated areas to create linear festivals. People walk, bike, and rollerblade through their city in ways not possible normally. Stops along the way provide entertainment, education, refreshment, and more.
After Petworth neighbors panned an initial proposal to run an event on Kansas Avenue, DC officials settled on Fort Dupont Park. While this misses the point a bit, it's a first step toward trying this out in DC. If this is successful, it will help build the case for such an event through more neighborhoods next year. Hopefully it won't rain too much.
- Guided nature hikes
- Invasive plant removal outings
- Free 2-hour bike rentals
- Healthy food workshops
- Community garden tours
- Bike rides and bike classes
- Fitness classes, workouts, and blood sugar/pressure testing
- In-line skating, boxing, and tennis
- Musical performance
- No bike racks? Just park it in the car lane
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 21
- Could traffic changes produce a new village square?
- This federal building is missing a corner. Here's why
- The biggest bikeshare station in each US city
- Why build protected bike lanes, in one happy quote
- Some see the DCPS-charter relationship breaking down, but charter leaders disagree