Bus driver hits jogger, maybe while turning
A jogger suffered "life-threatening injuries" when a bus driver drove into her at Connecticut and Florida this morning. The driver was heading back to the bus garage after finishing the service run.
WTOP mentions that the pedestrian jogger was wearing "earbuds." I might guess that the bus driver had the sun in his/her eyes and was visually impaired momentarily for that reason, or at least somewhat disoriented. I arrived on the scene about 5 minutes after it happened and everything had been cleared out by that time except for the bus.According to commenter CP, the driver was making a right turn on a red light without slowing down:
From a friend who saw the bus run a red and hit that girl this morning: "I just witnessed a chick get hit by a metro bus who made a right turn through a red-light. It was not a pleasant sight or sound. Kind of sounded like the bus hit a plastic trash can full of water."But Jazzy says:
Horrible. He said the girl had the light and the bus driver made a right on the red without even slowing down.
Ok, so we have conflicting accounts here. My friend says the driver was on Florida Avenue roaring through Connecticut, not that the driver was making a right turn.
- Bikeshare is a gateway to private biking, not competition
- Short-term Washingtonians deserve a voice, too
- Judge denies injunction against closing schools
- Public land deals have both benefits and pitfalls
- Long-term closures: A solution to single-tracking?
- DC Council makes major policy changes overnight
- PG planners propose bold new smart growth future