Overhead wires and beautiful streets can coexist
Some streetcar opponents and some streetcar supporters are arguing against overhead wires, saying that they're ugly or that they're incompatible with lush tree canopies. Ralph Garboushian sent along some more pictures of overhead wires from around the world.
Right: Frankfurt's Schweizerstrasse (top) and Brussels' 39/44 streetcar lines (bottom). Photos by Ralph Garboushian.
H Street, K Street, U Street, 14th Street, and most of the other streets on DDOT's streetcar plan have nowhere near this level of tree canopy. The only ones that do are 7th Street SW and 8th Street on Capitol Hill. If DC's streetcar lines can look as green as these with wires, it would be a huge improvement for most of our streets.
- This building is way too short
- Five bus lines everyone in DC should know, love, and use
- Capital Bikeshare will add 99 DC stations over 3 years. Your neighborhood will probably benefit.
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 70
- Dear leaders, please get Metro on the right course
- I'm an employer, and I support DC's family leave bill
- Apartments on Pennsylvania Avenue? The FBI building's replacement may be more than offices