Then and Then and Now: United Colors of Potomac Savings
The structure on the northwest corner of M Street and Wisconsin Avenue, NW
Historic images from the Library of Congress collections.
The Potomac Savings Bank moved into the structure after $24,000 was spent to repair and remodel the structure after the fire. This bank was a fixture at this Georgetown location until it closed March 5, 1933. The bank reopened on September 25, 1933, as the Hamilton National Bank. Its name changed again to the Bank of Washington (Georgetown Branch) after merging with that bank on October 1, 1954.
In late summer of 1990, the Bank of Washington collapsed. The failure of the "oldest bank in Washington," which traced its beginnings to September, 1809, shook the confidence of many area depositors.
- Cyclists are special and do have their own rules
- M Street cycle track keeps improving, draws church anger
- O'Malley announces first projects using new gas tax money
- Can Loudoun grow while protecting its rural areas?
- Silver Spring mall could get massive facelift, new name
- ICC losing bus service in classic bait and switch
- Suitland Parkway Trail is a mess. Will leaders seek change?