Breakfast links: Stalled and crashing, but not burning
Pie in the Skyland: The Skyland Town Center mixed-use proposal for Alabama Ave and Good Hope Road SE recently went before the DC Zoning Commission, and delays on the long-planned project are likely to continue. (DCmud)
ACT calls out MoCo DOT: Action Committee for Transit issued a press release (PDF) yesterday outlining how the Montgomery County Department of Transportation has become systematically hostile to transit riders and pedestrians by delaying projects, diverting money and opposing constructive proposals. (Cavan)
More top ten, this time in Maryland: Michael Dresser lists the top ten transportation stories for Maryland in the last decade, and some honorable mentions. (Baltimore Sun)
Steps toward TOD: Steven Vance provides an example of transit-oriented development near a Metra commuter rail station outside Chicago, proving that TOD doesn't have to be complex. In this case, a residential development provides a simple and inexpensive connection to transit when other developments nearby do not. (Steven can plan)
A nickel and two dimes to save commuters time: Dulles Toll Road tolls rise Friday, the first of three to fund the Silver Line to the airport. Governor-Elect McDonnell has suggested tolls to fund future transportation, but NVTA's Bob Chase prefers a gas tax increase, though specifically to build roads rather than transit. (WTOP)
Crash course: Doug Landau, the personal injury attorney who represented eight cyclists ticketed in Loudoun County for failing to obey a stop sign during a charity ride, has published a book about bicycle crashes, how to avoid them, and what to do when they happen. It's available as a free download or a $12 paperback. (FABB)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."
- Metro's flooded stations, in pictures
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar