Around the world: Dodging and parking
Cat commuting no more: A hit-and-run driver killed "Casper the commuting cat," a Plymouth, UK cat that had learned to ride the bus on its own, even queueing up politely to board the bus. (Plymouth Herald, Matt')
Electric bikes turning deadly: Electric-powered bicycles are becoming popular in China, but with the growth in the vehicles is coming a spike in fatalities as speeding riders crash into regular cyclists and pedestrians. (WSJ, Ben)
Where all modes meet: Jasper sent along this photograph of an Amsterdam street corner, showing a tram, bicyclists, pedestrians, taxis and private cars interacting.
No meters makes it too hard to park: Augusta, Georgia argues about whether to install parking meters while its downtown customers complain about having to circle the block four or five times before giving up. Is the answer enforcing the two-hour time limit? (NBC Augusta, Michael P)
Nowhere to park... that you can see: Donald Shoup discusses "parking availability bias," the phenomenon where people can think there's nowhere to park when really lots of spaces are
full empty, just not the most visible spaces. (How We Drive via Streetsblog LA, Michael P)
Yahoo patents parking sensors: A Yahoo patent application suggests the company might be working on showing Yahoo Maps users real-time parking availability at off-street parking lots equipped with sensors. (übergizmo, Michael P)
Game deciphers parking signs: A Brooklyn resident created an online game to help drivers learn the complex parking rules and signs and learn to park legally. (Parking Ticket Geek, Michael P)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Topic of the week: Banning cycling on sidewalks
- A new bill would ban cycling or Segway riding on DC sidewalks next to bike lanes
- David Catania on Metro, economic development, streetcars, affordable housing, bike lanes, building heights, and more
- What would you call Loudoun's Metro stations?
- After more crashes, DDOT pledges to remove Arkansas Avenue's rush hour lane
- The 11th Street Bridge Park gets a brilliant design. Will it succeed?
- Norfolk's light rail choice: Embrace the city, or follow the highway?
Fri Oct 24
9:00 am Urban agriculture symposium
Sat Oct 25
10:00 am Le Tour d’Alexandria Library
3:00 pm CSG tour: College Park
Mon Oct 27
5:30 pm Georgetown MUP speaker series
Tue Oct 28