Links across the nation: Transit in your location
February track work: February's Metro track maintenance includes closures of Rossyln and Arlington Cemetery, and the lines through them, Presidents' Day weekend, as well as other closures around Grosvenor and Cheverly. (DCist)
The garden car: Chicago will add a garden on a flatcar to the end of some L trains, to add some green to peoples' commutes. (Treehugger, Matt')
Your connecting flight is a train: Autopia argues that airlines should embrace high-speed rail to handle those short commuter hops to large hubs that create a lot of congestion at airports. (Wired)
Crown Farm back on: The proposed walkable Crown Farm development around the proposed Corridor Cities Transitway is moving forward after being stalled from the recession. (BeyondDC)
LA to privatize garages?: As we briefly discussed before, LA may privatize some parking garages to raise $100 million in a one-time payment. It could lead to more market-rate garage pricing, but the city won't get much of the benefit in the future. It also just gets them out of their budget hole for having built $60 million worth of garages recently. (LA Times, Stanton Park)
Are we getting used to doomsday?: As transit agencies keep suggesting the same "doomsday" service cuts they suggested in years past, are people less upset upon hearing them or unaware that the level of service they're experiencing doesn't encompass the cuts? (The Transport Politic, Michael P)
Bicycle hero: It's a video of a bicycle version of Guitar Hero. (Geekologie, Michael P)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- The Dutch government is trolling DC over marijuana, bike lanes, and streetcars
- 2.5 minutes of extra walking is not nothing
- How two families dealt with Metro problems and other transportation options in the snow
- I can take the bus from my neighborhood to just about anywhere in DC
- Cities worldwide are building beautiful, landmark pedestrian and bicycle bridges. Could Georgetown be next?
- DC like Amsterdam? We can only hope
- Sidewalk snow shoveling hall of shame: "DC government is the worst offender" (and Arlington too)