Breakfast links: Remaining snow, coming storms
Rock Creek branch storage path: The Rock Creek trail is still blocked by snow and branches. Thanks Park Service! (City Paper)
Speak up on the Fairfax budget: Here's how to provide feedback on the Fairfax County budget. County residents can sign up to speak at the hearing or submit comments online. Ask the County to restore Fairfax Connector service in the Dulles Corridor, contribute more to Metro, and preserve the bicycle program.
BLT or fries at White Flint?: The proposed CR zone for White Flint requires fewer "BLTs", payments to preserve part of the Agricultural Reserve, than other development areas. Instead, it it lets developers buy extra density in various ways, including BLTs but also other amenities. That's pitting some environmental groups against some Smart Growthers in a rare disagreement. (Post, Friends of White Flint)
Outer Beltway bill rises from the dead: The Virginia legislature defeated multiple Bob Chase bills designed to force construction of a sprawl-inducing Outer Beltway, but Governor McDonnell has revived one of them. It would let VDOT give a private builder all of the projected future tax revenue from development resulting from a road, even though much of that revenue has to fund schools and other infrastructure serving the new residents. (CSG)
Designs for Four Mile Run expansion: "Architects Anonymous" created designs for vacant lots that Alexandria purchased to add to Four Mile Run Park. (The Arlandrian)
Yummy soot: That dirt that covers the remaining snow piles along streets? You breathe it on a regular basis. Thanks trucks! (BeyondDC)
And...: Amtrak is launching free Wi-Fi on Acela trains and in 6 stations including Union Station ... Montgomery County buses some bus drivers in from Hagerstown and Charles Town, WV because they can't afford to live in the County (Examiner) ... Airlines are gearing up to fight California high-speed rail (BNET) ... The DC Council is expected to censure Marion Barry today. (Post)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- 9 things people always say at zoning hearings, illustrated by cats
- The Northeast Corridor carries more rail passengers than anywhere else in the country. What could it look like in 2040?
- The National Zoo has clarified its safety concerns. Turns out you're the problem.
- Montgomery will go ahead with BRT, but at what cost?
- WMATA's new general manager is listening before he even takes the reins
- What if Montgomery County gave BRT a temporary test run?
- Zig zag road stripes can get drivers to pay more attention