Dinner links: Crazy $#!% and lectures
A windshield fell out of a bus!: A windshield fell out of a bus in SE DC today. Nobody can say why yet, but that's what the operator said. (Get There)
A dog is worth 10 joggers: A driver killed a jogger along the side of a road in Frederick County, but only faces a $500 fine after prosecutors gave him a plea deal and dropped a negligent driving charge. Meanwhile, a man threw a Chihuahua off a bridge, and faces a $5,500 fine and 4.5 years in jail. (The Perils of Public Transportation)
You dented my car when I hit you!: An American driver hit a Danish cyclist with a rental car in Copenhagen last year. Police faulted the driver. Now the driver's insurer, American Express, is demanding compensation from the cyclist for so inconsiderately damaging that car when it hit her. (Copenhagenize, Matt', Erik W)
Rules apply to reporters too: Channel 9's Bruce Johnson got a parking ticket at Vincent Gray's announcement. Mike DeBonis rode his bike. (Twitter/mikedebonis)
What can we learn from Charleston?: Charleston's Mayor Riley will give a lecture on Monday, April 12 at the Kennedy Center. He's done a lot to revitalize his city and Richard Layman says his talks are terrific. (RPUS)
Shoup@NBM: Donald Shoup is returning to DC on May 27 and will give another talk about parking policy and pricing at the National Building Museum. (Bossi)
Cities in scope: Washington DC's own Neal Pierce, the founder of Citistates Group, has announced the launch of Citiscope, a new global news service focusing on cities, "to report regularly on cities' notable new approaches and solutions on every issue from climate adaptation to local food self-sufficiency to slum upgrading." (Eric Hallstrom)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- I don't care what some people say: DC has great transportation options.
- The biggest beneficiaries of housing subsidies? The wealthy.
- Metro badly needs culture change, everyone agrees. Can it pull it off?
- How five local businesspeople would tackle gentrification on 14th Street
- Clearly we need to have more happy hours in Prince George's
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 90
- Compass rose decals? More direct priority seating signs? Here are two more MetroGreater finalists.