Afternoon links: Announcements and non-announcements
Metro gets 2nd highest ridership: Metrorail recorded its 2nd-highest ever ridership day yesterday, thanks to the Cherry Blossom Festival, a Caps game, and good weather. Maybe Metro should charge a premium fare at Smithsonian during the festival?
WMATA doesn't announce rapes: I missed getting this earlier, but it's a big deal: WMATA waited months before announcing two rapes that happened in the Largo Town Center Metro parking garage. (Post)
Trolley tunnel RFP released: DMPED has released the RFP for developing the trolley tunnels under Dupont Circle. Any development would be a lease rather than a sale so the District could potentially restore their use for streetcars one day. Arts groups will bid on the space; will any retailers or other private uses also make a bid? (DCmud)
East and green?: UMD of Clean Energy is hosting a panel on making the delayed East Campus redevelopment more sustainable. (Rethink College Park)
No minimums in downtown Frederick?: The City of Frederick may repeal parking minimums for development in their historic downtown area. (WTOP)
Donuts and death: A driver killed a pedestrian in the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot at Viers Mill and Randolph Roads in Montgomery County. (Crime Scene)
Some drivers don't yield even to bunnies: A Glendale, CA officer wore a bunny costume to be extra visible, crossed the street, and issued 27 tickets to drivers for not yielding. Then a city councilman complained that it was a stunt designed to trick drivers, so he did it again not in the costume, and issued even more tickets. (DailyNews LA)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Federal board wants "dignified," dull Southwest Waterfront
- Fairfax's answer to neighbors' transit plans: Light rail, streetcars, and BRT
- The DC zoning update has already had triple the public input as the enormous 1958 zoning code. Enough is enough.
- Fruit stands abound within Paris Métro
- Downtown DC could have been more like L'Enfant Plaza
- MARC's chief engineer wants to allow bikes on some weekend trains
- Can you guess the Metro stations in this week's pictures?
Wed Apr 23
Thu Apr 24
Fri Apr 25
Sat Apr 26
10:00 am CSG tour: Historic Shaw
Tue Apr 29