Afternoon links: Announcements and non-announcements
Metro gets 2nd highest ridership: Metrorail recorded its 2nd-highest ever ridership day yesterday, thanks to the Cherry Blossom Festival, a Caps game, and good weather. Maybe Metro should charge a premium fare at Smithsonian during the festival?
WMATA doesn't announce rapes: I missed getting this earlier, but it's a big deal: WMATA waited months before announcing two rapes that happened in the Largo Town Center Metro parking garage. (Post)
Trolley tunnel RFP released: DMPED has released the RFP for developing the trolley tunnels under Dupont Circle. Any development would be a lease rather than a sale so the District could potentially restore their use for streetcars one day. Arts groups will bid on the space; will any retailers or other private uses also make a bid? (DCmud)
East and green?: UMD of Clean Energy is hosting a panel on making the delayed East Campus redevelopment more sustainable. (Rethink College Park)
No minimums in downtown Frederick?: The City of Frederick may repeal parking minimums for development in their historic downtown area. (WTOP)
Donuts and death: A driver killed a pedestrian in the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot at Viers Mill and Randolph Roads in Montgomery County. (Crime Scene)
Some drivers don't yield even to bunnies: A Glendale, CA officer wore a bunny costume to be extra visible, crossed the street, and issued 27 tickets to drivers for not yielding. Then a city councilman complained that it was a stunt designed to trick drivers, so he did it again not in the costume, and issued even more tickets. (DailyNews LA)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- I don't care what some people say: DC has great transportation options.
- The biggest beneficiaries of housing subsidies? The wealthy.
- Clearly we need to have more happy hours in Prince George's
- Metro badly needs culture change, everyone agrees. Can it pull it off?
- How five local businesspeople would tackle gentrification on 14th Street
- VRE's map keeps getting more diagrammatic
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 90