Barnes Dance debuts
At 10 am today, DDOT's new Barnes Dance at 7th and H Streets NW in Chinatown went live. Unlike a traditional Barnes Dance, this configuration allows pedestrians to cross during the Barnes Dance (all-pedestrian) cycle and during each street's green cycle.
DDOT is prohibiting all turns for automobiles with this new configuration and we spotted the traffic control officers frequently directing drivers not to turn. In fact, at 0:28 in the video, you can see a traffic control officer directing a cab to continue straight through.
This is a pilot project and may require some modifications. For instance, it remains to be seen if drivers will continue to ignore the various "No Turns" signs and no-turn arrows when the traffic control officers aren't there.
Over in Georgetown, some are hoping that DDOT brings the dance to Wisconsin Avenue and M Street.
- Young kids try to assault me while biking
- Metro bag searches aren't always optional
- Focus transportation on downtown or neighborhoods?
- Endless zoning update delay hurts homeowners
- Redeveloping McMillan is the only way to save it
- DDOT agrees to repave 15th Street cycle track
- Vienna Metro town center won't have a town center