Cannon almost stopped the Lincoln MemorialA fascinating story in the Washington Post Magazine explains how Illinois Congressman and Speaker of the House Joe Cannon (who has a House office building named in his honor) fought the establishment of the Lincoln Memorial on what was then a swamp along the banks of the Potomac, preferring a smaller memorial near Union Station; years later, he admitted he was glad he had lost that fight. Via Save the Mall.
- Here's how DCís inclusionary zoning program works
- Some Metro trains are running more slowly than usual these days. Here's why.
- Copenhagen proves bikes can work in the suburbs
- Hey look, that flawed Texas A&M traffic study is back and grabbing the usual headlines
- The Silver Spring Transit Center will open soon. Here's how everything fits together.
- Businesses no longer want office parks, and that can mean more revenue for cities
- Van Ness residents say their neighborhood isn't safe for walking