Streetcars will "bridge the gaps"
The Transport Politic's Yonah Freemark created some terrific maps of DC's proposed streetcar network showing how streetcars will fill in the gaps between Metrorail lines.
Freemark also created a great map showing the streetcar lines and Metrorail lines. As I've argued many times before, the Metrorail map forms many visitors' and new residents' view of the District. If one of the goals of the streetcar system is to bring tourists and casual travelers from around the region to areas we want strong economic growth, DC has to create a new iconic conception that includes these areas and the lines that lead to them. They could start by adding the Circulators.
- John Oliver explained DC statehood and it was brilliant
- Building the Edinburgh streetcar wasn't easy, but a lot of people ride it now
- Why isn't College Park a better college town?
- What other college towns can teach us about College Park's challenges
- Metro plans 20 Red Line trains per hour in rush, but really averages more like 17
- A senseless skirmish in Toronto is a welcome reminder to share street space
- In Silver Spring, cutting travel lanes doesn't make traffic backups worse