Streetcars will "bridge the gaps"
The Transport Politic's Yonah Freemark created some terrific maps of DC's proposed streetcar network showing how streetcars will fill in the gaps between Metrorail lines.
Freemark also created a great map showing the streetcar lines and Metrorail lines. As I've argued many times before, the Metrorail map forms many visitors' and new residents' view of the District. If one of the goals of the streetcar system is to bring tourists and casual travelers from around the region to areas we want strong economic growth, DC has to create a new iconic conception that includes these areas and the lines that lead to them. They could start by adding the Circulators.
- Montgomery County isn't really waging war against suburbia
- Careful jaywalking saves lives
- Chick-fil-A's proposed Van Ness drive-thru is denied
- What will become of D Street once the FBI moves?
- 8 lessons about great transit I learned riding the Paris Métro
- National Links: From Florida to California
- Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet