Streetcars will "bridge the gaps"
The Transport Politic's Yonah Freemark created some terrific maps of DC's proposed streetcar network showing how streetcars will fill in the gaps between Metrorail lines.
Freemark also created a great map showing the streetcar lines and Metrorail lines. As I've argued many times before, the Metrorail map forms many visitors' and new residents' view of the District. If one of the goals of the streetcar system is to bring tourists and casual travelers from around the region to areas we want strong economic growth, DC has to create a new iconic conception that includes these areas and the lines that lead to them. They could start by adding the Circulators.
- I don't care what some people say: DC has great transportation options.
- The biggest beneficiaries of housing subsidies? The wealthy.
- Clearly we need to have more happy hours in Prince George's
- Metro badly needs culture change, everyone agrees. Can it pull it off?
- How five local businesspeople would tackle gentrification on 14th Street
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 90
- VRE's map keeps getting more diagrammatic