Streetcars will "bridge the gaps"
The Transport Politic's Yonah Freemark created some terrific maps of DC's proposed streetcar network showing how streetcars will fill in the gaps between Metrorail lines.
Freemark also created a great map showing the streetcar lines and Metrorail lines. As I've argued many times before, the Metrorail map forms many visitors' and new residents' view of the District. If one of the goals of the streetcar system is to bring tourists and casual travelers from around the region to areas we want strong economic growth, DC has to create a new iconic conception that includes these areas and the lines that lead to them. They could start by adding the Circulators.
- Fun on Friday: Play the Mini Metro game
- What's the point of supermarket gas rewards if you don't drive to the store?
- Adding 15-minute Circulator routes would dilute the Circulator brand
- Design could make or break the 11th Street Bridge Park
- Comparing Metrobus and Metrorail farebox recovery is apples and oranges
- Metro FAQ: Why does Metro run express trains in one direction during single-tracking?
- Mayoral challengers criticize the Gray administration's streetcar progress