Breakfast links and media: Final decisions
Photo courtesy DDOT.
Capital Bikeshare: The new bike sharing program will be called Capital Bikeshare. "George" got more 1st place votes, but Capital Bikeshare got more 2nd and 3rd. This is safe and a bit boring but also clear and descriptive. (WashCycle)
Bad bus drivers back: A bus driver who hit a taxi and killed a passenger, and the bus driver who punched McGruff the Crime Dog, got their jobs back after an arbitration panel ruled in their favor. WMATA doesn't want to put the first driver back on the road. (Examiner)
Follies rejected: The BZA rejected the special exception application for the N Street Follies hotel. I hope this is a temporary denial while they address the historic issues; there should be a hotel here, just a slightly modified one. (Housing Complex)
Riders > spaces on MARC: Demand for MARC service in upcounty Montgomery County is exceeding parking capacity, including at Germantown and Boyds (one of the stations MTA tried to close in 2006). Montgomery's current contract with the MTA does not allow charging for parking at MARC-only stations. (Gazette)
Great map visualizations: Eric Fischer maps the sites of photos from locals vs. tourists ... Doug McCune converts SF crime data into elevation maps. (Steve S)
"The Tourist Lane": Recently, a funny photo was going around showing a New York sidewalk partitioned into a lane for New Yorkers and a lane for tourists. It turns out this was the latestHave a tip for the links? Submit it here.
Improve Improv Everywhere prank. (Bossi)
IE members even pose as NYC DOT workers directing pedestrians and taking a "survey" of people's reactions to the pilot, with an eye toward expanding it to the entire city.
- I don't care what some people say: DC has great transportation options.
- The biggest beneficiaries of housing subsidies? The wealthy.
- Metro badly needs culture change, everyone agrees. Can it pull it off?
- How five local businesspeople would tackle gentrification on 14th Street
- Clearly we need to have more happy hours in Prince George's
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 90
- Compass rose decals? More direct priority seating signs? Here are two more MetroGreater finalists.