Breakfast links and media: Final decisions
Photo courtesy DDOT.
Capital Bikeshare: The new bike sharing program will be called Capital Bikeshare. "George" got more 1st place votes, but Capital Bikeshare got more 2nd and 3rd. This is safe and a bit boring but also clear and descriptive. (WashCycle)
Bad bus drivers back: A bus driver who hit a taxi and killed a passenger, and the bus driver who punched McGruff the Crime Dog, got their jobs back after an arbitration panel ruled in their favor. WMATA doesn't want to put the first driver back on the road. (Examiner)
Follies rejected: The BZA rejected the special exception application for the N Street Follies hotel. I hope this is a temporary denial while they address the historic issues; there should be a hotel here, just a slightly modified one. (Housing Complex)
Riders > spaces on MARC: Demand for MARC service in upcounty Montgomery County is exceeding parking capacity, including at Germantown and Boyds (one of the stations MTA tried to close in 2006). Montgomery's current contract with the MTA does not allow charging for parking at MARC-only stations. (Gazette)
Great map visualizations: Eric Fischer maps the sites of photos from locals vs. tourists ... Doug McCune converts SF crime data into elevation maps. (Steve S)
"The Tourist Lane": Recently, a funny photo was going around showing a New York sidewalk partitioned into a lane for New Yorkers and a lane for tourists. It turns out this was the latestHave a tip for the links? Submit it here.
Improve Improv Everywhere prank. (Bossi)
IE members even pose as NYC DOT workers directing pedestrians and taking a "survey" of people's reactions to the pilot, with an eye toward expanding it to the entire city.
- A new bill would ban cycling or Segway riding on DC sidewalks next to bike lanes
- After more crashes, DDOT pledges to remove Arkansas Avenue's rush hour lane
- Norfolk's light rail choice: Embrace the city, or follow the highway?
- Landover is not the place for the FBI
- Is Sheridan Station a sign of change east of the river, or more of the same?
- Not just a phase: Young Americans won’t start motoring like their parents
- Here's what will (hopefully) happen in DC transportation over the next two years
Wed Oct 22
12:00 pm Live chat with David Catania
12:00 pm Contributory negligence forum ($)
4:00 pm SE/
SW streetcar public meeting
Fri Oct 24
9:00 am Urban agriculture symposium
Sat Oct 25
3:00 pm CSG tour: College Park
Mon Oct 27
5:30 pm Georgetown MUP speaker series
Tue Oct 28