Then and Now: The Times-Herald building
The Washington Times/Washington Herald building in the 1920s (left) and today (right).
Historic image from the Library of Congress.
The Washington Times, later to become the Times-Herald, was first published March 18, 1884. It was started by Frank Lerch. The Times was eventually sold to Aurthur Brisbane, William Randolph Hearst's chief editorial writer, in May, 1910. The Washington Herald was started on October 8, 1906, as a morning newspaper. After a succession of owners it was sold to William Randolph Hearst on November 19, 1922. The historic image above likely dates to shortly after that time and shows the Times-Herald building at 1307 H Street, NW.
Both newspapers were purchased by Eleanor Patterson on February 1, 1939. Patterson owned the papers until her death July 24, 1948. The Washington Post purchased the papers in March 1954, and publication of the paper was moved to the plant at 1515 L Street, NW.
- Hogan will build the Purple Line, not the Red Line
- By 2019 it will have taken 34 years to build the Silver Line
- The five most frustrating things about Metro's problems
- Residents push for stop signs, not a wider road, at one Petworth intersection
- MARC fares may go up more than they have to
- Can a park bridging the Anacostia bring investment without displacing residents?
- Silver Spring is a more complete place thanks to its new library