Labor Day work to close 5 Metro stations
Metro trackwork next weekend will close 5 stations on the Red Line.
Friday night and all day Saturday, Sunday, and Monday September 3-6 Red Line trains will operate between Shady Grove and Fort Totten only. Free shuttle buses will connect passengers to Takoma, Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton, and Glenmont, which will be closed.
The closure will begin at approximately 10 p.m. on Friday, September 3. The stations will reopen on Tuesday morning, September 7 at 5 a.m. On Friday, the last outbound train toward Glenmont will depart Fort Totten at 9:47 p.m.
There will be 3 shuttle bus service patterns:
- Green Shuttle: The Green Shuttle will travel from Georgia Avenue/Petworth station on the Green and Yellow Lines to Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton, and Glenmont. It will not stop at Takoma station.
- Red Shuttle: The Red Shuttle will run from Fort Totten station on the Green, Yellow, and Red Lines to Takoma, Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton, and Glenmont.
- Yellow Shuttle: The Yellow Shuttle will travel from Fort Totten station to Takoma and Silver Spring. It will not serve Forest Glen, Wheaton, or Glenmont stations.
Metro says this trackwork project is one of the largest ever conducted by the agency. It includes several components, including the replacement of two switches at Silver Spring as recommended by the National Transportation Safety Board. Other work includes replacement of cross ties, cables, track fasteners, insulators, and fire pipe.
You can always stay on top of scheduled service disruptions using our disruption calendar.
- Community stories show the shift to a walkable lifestyle
- Young kids try to assault me while biking
- Focus transportation on downtown or neighborhoods?
- Some are pushing to limit sidewalk cycling
- Where is downtown Prince George's County?
- Metro bag searches aren't always optional
- Endless zoning update delay hurts homeowners