Breakfast links: Around town
I saw the signage: After announcing last year that it would strictly enforce rules against sidewalk signs, DDOT has now decided the signs are okay as long as they aren't interfering with pedestrians or creating a hazard. Meanwhile, Salisbury, England is making an effort to remove unnecessary street signs. (TBD, BBC News)
Drink to drive: Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell is pushing to end the state monopoly on packaged liquor sales, saying that the revenue from sales of licenses would provide a boost to state transportation coffers. (FABB)
Moving the slugs: After cars picking up "slugs" along 14th street were ticketed, DDOT is seeking suggestions for new pick-up sites in the District. (Post)
Balancing the books: Silver Spring's new library, which is scheduled to break ground on Monday, is $3 million over budget. Project officials are scrambling to cut costs to balance the budget. (TBD)
Drive to be charged: A truck driver hit and killed a cyclist in Union Bridge, MD, in a crash similar to Alice Swanson's. According to police, this time there will be some kind of charges. (TheWashCycle)
ART purchases: Arlington is adding 12 new low-floor CNG buses to its routes over the next several months. (CommuterPageBlog, BeyondDC)
Let's talk bikes: Arlington, Montgomery, and DC bike coordinators discussed bicycling on the Kojo Nnamdi show yesterday. WashCycle summarizes the key points.
March in August: This weekend the Mall will play host to Glen Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally as well as the Al Sharpton and the NAACP's annual march honoring Martin Luther King Jr's "I Have a Dream" speech. The Post covers the politics around the juxtaposition while TBD has (legitimate) tips for visitors.Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Metro floats cutting service for the Green, Yellow, Orange, and Silver Lines
- The Baltimore Red Line does need a tunnel, despite its cost
- The five most frustrating things about Metro's problems
- By 2019 it will have taken 34 years to build the Silver Line
- "Convincing" and "enjoyable" "even with the wonkiness"
- Hogan will build the Purple Line, not the Red Line
- Forest Glen residents and a state delegate want a MARC station in Forest Glen