Breakfast links: Taking control
Arlington gets Columbia Pike: Virginia's governing transportation body approved the transfer of Columbia Pike from VDOT to Arlington County, clearing the way for redevelopment of the corridor and the planned Columbia Pike streetcar. (ARLnow)
Alexandria to get multi-space meters: The Alexandria City Council approved $1.25 million to aquire multi-space meters in Old Town. (Examiner)
Trader Joe's eyes Clarendon, wants parking: Trader Joe's is planning to open a new location less than a block away from the Clarendon Metro station. Still, final approval likely hinges on TJ's demand to have dedicated free parking spaces. (ARLNow, Nick)
Sharing the road: WAMU has a video segment on bicycling in DC, featuring good comments from both AAA and WABA. (Rob Pitingolo)
Zoning stifling jobs?: Matt Yglesias argues that neighborhood overlay restrictions may be stifling low-wage job creation, particularly harmful during the recession.
Elevated Dulles much cheaper: MWAA says replacing the underground Dulles station with an elevated station in front of the parking garage could save $640 million. (WTOP)
New 99 bus?: WMATA is considering a new 99 express bus along the 90/92/93 route. There are three public meetings next week to discuss that and other potential improvements to the line family. (TBD)
Visualizing commutes: Using Census Transportation Planning Package data, Harry Kao has created a tool to map commutes from or to a given zip code. The tool does not work with transit directions and because of its use of zipcodes doesn't provide an accurate picture for short, intracity commutes, but it's still very cool. (Hairy Cow)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- This building is way too short
- Five bus lines everyone in DC should know, love, and use
- Capital Bikeshare will add 99 DC stations over 3 years. Your neighborhood will probably benefit.
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 70
- Dear leaders, please get Metro on the right course
- Apartments on Pennsylvania Avenue? The FBI building's replacement may be more than offices
- DC Council chairman Phil Mendelson is blocking Mayor Bowser's zoning board nominee