Afternoon links: Nauseating news
ARC tunnel dead, NJ will get even more roads: Governor Chris Christie (R-NJ) has decided to cancel the ARC tunnel, which would have increased commuter rail capacity to Penn Station, and instead redirect all the money to road projects. (Transportation Nation) Update: Christie says he hasn't made up his mind.
Hurling out of service: Vomiting drunk students have taken GWU's Vern Express shuttle buses out of service three times so far this semester. The $200 fine pays for bus cleaning and cab vouchers for the stranded passengers. (GW Hatchet via TBD)
She thought it was a tree branch: A Singapore driver struck a cyclist but kept driving home for 2 km with the bicycle stuck under her car. She says she thought it was a tree branch, thanks to the soundproofing in the Lexus. Her right to drive was suspended for one year. (Asia One, Michael P.)
An indictment of Las Vegas' City Center: Las Vegas' newest development, CityCenter, it turns out, isn't much of a city and provides little in the way of a center. (New Yorker)
Le Capital Bikeshare: A Lincoln Park neighbor explains the opposition to a station in the small triangle originally planned ... Each year in France, bikesharing replaces 700,000 car trips in Lyon and 2,160,000 car trips in Paris. Can CaBi similarly reduce car traffic pressure in L'Enfant's city? (TheWashCycle)
And...: Arlington will install 15 bike counters to measure bike traffic on trails and bike lanes. (TBD) ... A neighborhood in Queens, NY closed a street adjoining a park for July and August and created a great community asset. (Streetfilms, Steve Offutt) ... After decades of decline, enrollment in DCPS is up, mostly in the lower grades. (Post)
Don't forget: GGW happy hour Thursday: This is just a friendly reminder that we're having a happy hour this Thursday in downtown DC. We'll be starting at 6 pm at Laughing Man, located at 1306 G Street NW near Metro Center. We'll be there for a few hours, so drop by whenever you get a chance.Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Proponents of term limits in Montgomery hope they'd mean more Republicans and less development. Both are unlikely.
- We know where most of DC's population lives. Does Metro run through those places?
- Prince George's County leaders join the chorus to keep late-night rail service
- A record number of people petitioned for a dog park at the Takoma Rec Center, but it's still not happening
- The shutdown is coming! The shutdown is coming! (On the Red Line)
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 93
- Term limits are a terrible idea for Montgomery County